Free and open to the public. Join events via Zoom
The series will feature systemically oriented lawyers and activists in fields most affected by our latest crisis: housing, immigration, disability, employment, consumer/credit, incarceration, voting rights, climate, health care, and more.
Each session will examine the special challenges posed by the crisis, the revised priorities and strategies being adopted, and the new collaborations being forged. We will consider the pressing needs, the new opportunities, and the more general lessons for lawyers, law students, and others committed to promoting systemic change.
This week’s session, Tuesday May 12 at 12pm EST, will focus on domestic violence and feature the following panelists:
- Stephanie Davidson, UCLA Law School
- Christine Perumal, Safe Horizon Domestic Violence Law Project
- Jessica Spector, Safe Horizon Domestic Violence Law Project
- Molly Coleman: Co-Founder and National Organizing Director of People’s Parity Project;
- Matthew Duffy: Catalyst Fellow, Center for Popular Democracy;
- Alana Greer: Co-Founder, Community Justice Project;
- Jon Hanson: Faculty Director, Systemic Justice Project; and
- Jacob Lipton: Program Director, Systemic Justice Project.
Panelists provided an overview of the summer institute and answered specific questions regarding lawyers and organizations looking for help might make a project proposal.
Tuesday April 28 – focus on economic inequity in the time of COVID-19 (video here).
- Chiraayu Gosrani, NYU Law ’22
- Alyssa Peterson, Liman Fellow at the Center for Popular Democracy
- Jason Salgado, Harvard Law ’21
- Sandeep Vaheesan, Legal Director of the Open Markets Institute
- Niki Rubin, Harvard Law ’22 (moderator)
- Sejal Singh, Harvard Law ’20; Cofounder of the People’s Parity Project (moderator)
Tuesday April 21 – focus on criminal legal system (video coming soon):
- Judge Nancy Gertner, Senior Lecturer at Harvard Law School
- Rachael Rollins, District Attorney Suffolk County
- Carol Rose – Executive Director of the ACLU of Massachusetts
Tuesday April 14 – focus on immigration (video here):
- Lam Ho: Executive Director and Founder at Beyond Legal Aid
- Phil Torrey: Managing Attorney of the Harvard Immigration and Refugee Clinical Program, Director of Crimmigration Clinic
- Becky Wolozin, Attorney with Immigrant Advocacy Program at the Legal Aid Justice Center
Wednesday April 8 – special session on decarceration (video here):
- Alec Karakatsanis: Founder & Executive Director, Civil Rights Corp.
- David Lewis: Chief, Integrity Review Bureau at the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office
- John Mathews II: Senior Legal Counsel at The Justice Collaborative
- Katy Naples-Mitchell: Legal Fellow, Charles Hamilton Houston Center for Race & Justice at Harvard Law School
- Oren Nimni: Staff Attorney, Lawyers for Civil Rights
Tuesday April 7 (video here):
- Esme Caramello: Clinical Professor of Law and Faculty Director of Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, Harvard Law School
- Joey Longley: Equal Justice Works Fellow at ACLU National Prison Project
- Derecka Purnell: Social movement lawyer, writer, and activist who works to sustain social movements
Tuesday March 31 (video here):
- Sabi Ardalan: Clinical Professor of Law and Director of the Harvard Immigration and Refugee Clinic, Harvard Law School
- Matthew Duffy: Justice Catalyst Legal Fellow, Voting Rights & Democracy at Center for Popular Democracy
- Jane Flanagan: Leadership in Government Fellow, Open Society Foundations and Visiting Scholar, IIT Chicago-Kent School of Law
- Andrea Sáenz: Supervising Attorney, Immigration Practice, Brooklyn Defender Services
Learn about the COVID-19 Rapid Reaction/Systems Summer Institute here.